Although we concluded our 15th annual Shipper Symposium last week, we still have the most essential trends impacting the transportation industry on our minds. During the event, we heard from demographers, economists and other leaders on the most pressing industry issues – and this week’s TIP List continues that learning, covering the future of Amazon shipments, the influence of blockchain on the supply chain and NAFTA’s impact on manufacturing in Mexico.
- Welcome to the Amazon Jungle, Truckers: Truckload carriers have something to look forward to in the near term, but looking a little further down the road, Thom Albrecht tossed around terms like “decimate,” “destroy,” “profound impact,” “seismic changes” and “the whole world is going to turn upside down.”
- Uncertainty Clouds NAFTA Changes for Mexico Factories: Manufacturers in Mexico aren’t as concerned about President Trump’s recent threats to dump or renegotiate NAFTA as some recent public reports have suggested, but some uncertainty remains.
- How Blockchain is Transforming the Supply Chain: Blockchain, the decentralized record book that underpins Bitcoin, can be used to create a digital ledger designed to trace and verify certification of diamonds. Blockchain’s application to this and other luxury goods has those in nearly every industry excited by its potential.
- Robotics Market in North America Surges 32%: North American robotics companies posted the strongest ever first-quarter results, according to the industry’s trade group. An all-time high total of 9,773 robots valued at approximately $516 million were ordered from North American robotics companies during the first quarter of 2017.
- April Jobs Report Hints at Growth in Logistics Industry: Parcel carriers and delivery firms, which scaled back hiring in March, added 3,200 courier and messenger positions last month; and the warehousing and storage sector, which includes sprawling fulfillment centers that process online orders, added 2,500 jobs.
What industry trends did you find most captivating at this year’s Shipper Symposium?