Transportation TIP List: Week of August 10th, 2015
Summer is winding down and it’s almost back to school time – and this week’s TIP List has us studying a variety of interesting subjects, from legislation and infrastructure to upcoming trends in technology. Keep reading to review these timely industry topics that you don’t want to fall behind on!
- President Obama to Tap Chief Counsel Scott Darling to Head FMCSA: Scott Darling, chief counsel and acting administrator for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will be nominated by President Obama to become the agency’s administrator, according to a White House announcement.
- ATA Welcomes Senate Passage of Long-Term Highway Bill: Following the Senate’s passage of a long-term highway bill last Thursday, the, American Trucking Associations (ATA) congratulated senators for approving a highway reauthorization bill that it says represents a significant step toward addressing the nation’s transportation infrastructure needs.
- ELD Mandate Update: The Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate is in the last stages of being released as a final regulation. As of the last published calendar, it is now with the Office of the Secretary of Transportation for review, and will go next to the Office of Management and Budget for the last major hurdle before being released.
- Egypt Prepares to Inaugurate Expanded Suez Canal: An $8.5 billion expansion of the Suez Canal, which has been promoted by the government as the “rebirth of Egypt,” has stirred patriotic fervor in Egypt and salvaged a national psyche bruised by simmering political divisions and an increasingly sophisticated Islamist insurgency.
- 4 Improvements Technology Brings to the Supply Chain: In the days where supply chain analytics were left to handwritten tallies or Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, the supply chain was hindered by lack of information. However, today’s technology tools, especially cloud-based tools, are bringing some major boons to the supply chain.
Have questions, comments or other important TIP list topics? We’d love to hear them!
What transportation topics are you studying up on this week?