Transportation TIP List: Week of June 10th, 2018
Are you still looking for the perfect Father’s Day gift? The National Retail Federation recently reported that this year’s top presents for dads are special outings, clothing, gift cards and electronics. And our Father’s Day gift to you is our weekly TIP List – below are some of the hottest transportation stories, including increases in truck orders and strategies to improve cross-border trade. We hope all the fathers out there have a fantastic weekend!
- Truck Orders Soaring on Growing Freight Demand: Trucking companies ordered 35,600 trucks in May, more than double the orders from the same month a year ago, according to preliminary figures by ACT Research. That leaves manufacturers with an order backlog of more than 200,000 trucks, or 8.4 months of production.
- Cross-Border Trade: Preparation and Experience Pay Off: Regardless of political affiliation, logistics professionals on all sides of the border agree that careful planning, attention to detail and good partnerships are all key to continued, efficient cross-border transit.
- Intermodal Appeal Grows as Truckload Capacity Tightens: Will the ELD mandate spur an increase in market share for rail intermodal? Some believe the mandate is a watershed event for the intermodal segment, as electronic logs add to transit times for trucks, making intermodal even more competitive on long hauls.
- Musk Says Tesla Manufacturing to Shift From “Hell” to Strength: Elon Musk is confident Tesla Inc. can finally meet a production target with its crucial Model 3 – and he predicted that manufacturing will actually become a strength for the electric car maker over time.
- What’s Your Greatest Supply Chain Management Challenge This Year?: Consumers expecting near-instant gratification even for big-ticket purchases are making supply chain management more important than ever in the home furnishings industry. Get an inside look at what operations managers say their greatest supply chain issue is and what they’re doing to solve it.
What trendy transportation news are you following this Father’s Day?