Transportation TIP List: Week of March 18th, 2018
March Madness is in full force! Was your college team bounced early or is your bracket already busted? This week’s TIP List can change your luck, as it includes the most important trends making moves in transportation. From approaches to help shippers improve their transportation management operations to the latest on the ELD mandate – get in the game and come out on top against the competition with the stories below!
- Managed Services vs. Software-as-a-Service: Which Path is Right for You?: When it comes to how best to manage their transportation operations, many shippers often find themselves at a crossroads: should they implement a TMS, outsource everything to a logistics service provider, or take a hybrid approach? Here are factors to consider when determining which path to take.
- U.S. Trucking Regulators Eye Extending Some ELD Waivers: As the April 1 deadline for full enforcement of the ELD mandate draws closer, U.S. regulators are struggling with how to implement ELDs in specific sub-sectors of trucking, especially agricultural shipping and truck rental and leasing operations.
- Intermodal Delivers in 2017: According to a recent report, intermodal freight volumes posted a 2018 fourth-quarter growth rate of 5.8% YoY. International volume increased by 7.7%; domestic containers grew by a modest 2.5%; while trailer loads increased by 12.2%.
- Truckers Boosted Hiring at Fastest Pace Since 2015: The U.S. Department of Labor recently reported that carriers added 5,600 jobs in February as operators rushed to keep up with the U.S. freight market, the fastest pace since May of 2015.
- You Can’t Control Mother Nature, But You Can Be Ready for It: For senior financial executives at large U.S.-based companies with operations in Texas, Florida, or Puerto Rico, the 2017 hurricane season served as a risk management wake-up call. A recent FM Global survey found that nature had a significant impact on their operations.
Does your operations use a TMS, managed service provider or a hybrid approach?